A callus is a thickened piece of skin that is usually formed on the sole of the feet because this is the area of the body that bears maximum weight. The weight bearing parts of the feet, ball or the heel, develop tissue build up which is the skin’s defensive mechanism to protect the tissues and cells of those areas from wear and tear. So calluses are natural formations of the skin.
However, it can be difficult to live with calluses. When you walk the calluses are pressed on the underlying tissues which often results in tenderness of the foot accompanied with burning and itching sensation. These sensations can be extremely painful while walking. Therefore, getting rid of calluses is important otherwise you will be walking around in pain forever.
Let’s look at some of the effective home remedies for removing calluses.
+ Quick View
Digestion Support Supplements -Digestive Well Being$25.19Sale!
+ Quick View
Arthritis / Joint Pain
Arthcare Plus Capsules – Joint & Muscle Support$25.19Sale!
+ Quick View
Total Heart Support – Healthy Heart Support$25.19Sale!
+ Quick View
Garcinia Cambogia – Weight Control HCA > 60%$19.79Sale!
1. Calluses are hardened skin tissues which hurt while walking. To make the feet soft soak them in warm water for 10-15 minutes every day. This will also reduce the callus. Dry your feet on a soft towel.
2. Soak your feet in soap water for 10 minutes. Take a pumice stone and rub it on the heel and the ball of the foot to remove dead skin.
3. Wet your foot and take a foot scrapper. Use this to scrape the dead skin built from the feet. Do this every day while taking bath. This will effectively reduce the callus build up on the skin.
4. Take a raw papaya and peel its skin. Mash the papaya and massage it on the calluses. Do this thrice a day for two months to get rid of the calluses.
5. Take a fresh ripe lemon and cut it into two halves. Rub one half of the slice over the callus and leave it overnight. Leaving lemon juice on the callus for at least 6 hours will help heal the callus faster.
6. Warm three tablespoons castor oil and rub it on the calluses to get relief from the pain and burning sensations caused while walking.
7. Prepare a foot bath by mixing oatmeal, fresh cream and warm water. Blend the ingredients well together. Now soak your callused foot in this mixture and leave for 15-20 minutes. After the stipulated time remove your foot and rub it with a pumice stone. Wash the feet with warm water and dry them on a towel. Your feet will become soft and the calluses will disappear in time with regular use.
8. Take generous amounts of glycerin and apply it on the callused skin with gentle massaging. Wear cotton socks and leave the glycerin overnight.
9. Warm some olive oil and rub it in the affected area. Wear cotton socks and leave it overnight to allow the skin to soak in the oil. Olive oil will soften the foot and also reduce calluses.
10. Prepare a bath of Epsom salt by mixing two tablespoons Epsom salt with 2 cups water in a small basin. Soak your callused foot in the bath for 10 minutes. Epsom salts will soften your feet and also remove the dead skin tissues. Do this treatment daily for preventing formation of calluses.
11. Take a pineapple and peel its skin. Cover the callus completely with the peel of the pineapple. Secure the peel in place by wrapping it in medicated gauze or by using a duct tape. Change the pineapple peel every alternate day. Pineapple peel has enzymes and acids that will act on the callus to dissolve the dead skin tissues.
12. Mix wheat germ oil and sesame oil. Warm the oils a little and add sesame seeds in the mixture of oils. Let the oils come down to room temperature. Apply this mixture on the calluses every day until your foot is completely healed.
13. Wash the affected foot and dry it well. Then take a small basin and add three tablespoons baking soda and five cups warm water. Mix the two ingredients well. Soak your affected and washed foot in the baking soda solution and let it remain in the solution for 20-30 minutes. Baking soda will soften the skin well. Take a pumice stone and rub the stone over the foot to remove the dead skin tissues. Remember, it is easier to remove the tissues once they have been softened. Wash the foot with clean water and dry it. Apply a heavy cream or moisturizer. Use the baking soda treatment every day until the calluses are completely removed.
People with calluses on their feet should always wear comfortable shoes with extra padding on them. There are foam and gel paddings available in the market to protect the feet from hurting when walking with calluses. Wear shoes that fit you well. Shoes that are loose or tight can lead to formation of calluses on the feet.
Never leave callused skin dry. Dryness will increase your discomfort. Besides calluses can be only removed and prevented by keeping the skin soft and moistened all the time. So always use creams and lotions to keep the calluses soft. Softened calluses will also hurt less.
Keep the feet moisturized all the time. Always wet your feet before moistening them because this will help the skin lock in the moisture. Keep the skin on your feet protected by wearing cotton socks all the time; but remember to change your socks often and wash them well in hot water.